exe file association problem
DIMAS LOPEZ asked on December 25, 2012. Status: Answered & Closed.
Big problem with exe file association
» I can't open any exe file because of the same problem always occuring: Every time i want to open a program it says: Choose a program you want to use to run this file. I have tried different methods such as typing in CMD to the Run section of either my start folder and my Windows Task Manager. Every time i do something like typing in one of these codes this choose a program box pops up again and if i click one of the choices it gives me a download, exits the download, and says choose a program again. As you can see i need some help.
The virus in question has modified registry keys which prevents opening programmes. Now, several viruses do that and you may not have all the same virus, sometimes it can be VirTool:Win32/CeeInject.gen!HL.
Fortunately, Hit Malware has been created as a useful tool, which is to remove the virus of this kind and resolve the problem. In some cases it can be risky to modify registry entries, it would require time to so. But Hit Malware makes this kind of thing not be a hard nut.
Download, install, update Hit Malware and run a FULL. After the scan delete the items found.
KAREN COLBERT replied on January 2, 2013
- DAVID WOODRUFF replied on January 3, 2013: » The files wit .exe associations seem to be corrupted. I suggest that you follow the below link that will automatically fix the file associations ‘When you run an .exe file on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer, the file may start a different program': http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950505
If you are able to fix the file associations, you should run a Malware scan on your computer to check if this is caused by a virus infection.
- CAROL TIA replied on January 4, 2013: » OMG KAREN You are amazing!! Your insight was greatly appreciated! I had to use this Hit Malware in order to restore my computer and it was very simple and it worked!! Wish I could ask you another unrelated questions for my laptop!
- SANDRA SMITH replied on January 4, 2013: » Thank you for this, I was helping a friend out and it found 5 Infections, But its still asking what program to open it with, I run the tool you gave us, and it says I should reboot, I had him reboot, and it still had the same problem. Is there another program that should be able to fix this?
- JOHNATHAN KERECMAN replied on January 3, 2013: » thank you soooo much! I was just about to take my computer in to be fixed.. so I downloaded that and put it on my computer. i figured how much more damage could i possibly do lol. I just want to say thank you SOOOO much!
DLL Q & A you might like:
- How to fix DLL files for Windows PCs »
- Tabcal.exe and Exe Virus Infection Error »
- Best Solution to Remove Jose.exe Virus Infection »
- Ucpsetup.exe and Exe Virus Infection Error »