DEVANE SUMTER asked on February 18, 2013. Status: Answered & Closed.
Modifying Windows Vista Riched32.dll
» For a software installation and correct performance it requires to replace their own riched32.dll instead of windows .dll file. But windows Vista doesn’t let to do it even in safe mode.
The best thing about DLL files is that they can be used across multiple applications at the same time. Windows operating systems come with a few pre-installed DLLs that can be used by any application installed on it. Most of the other DLLs are usually developed to be used by a specific application and are loaded only when you launch that application.
What are the common causes of Windows DLL errors (otherwise called DLL Hell)? Firstly, Windows DLL errors occur when a newly installed application replaces a DLL with an older version. Next, Windows DLL errors also occur if a shared DLL is deleted when you uninstall an application. Thirdly is infestation by malicious software/viruses, such as HackTool:Win32/Elsashes.A. Last but not least are the corrupted or outdated registry entries.
DLL Suite is designed for you to fix all these dll errors. To do it, click its Dashboard menu > click Scan DLL Errors button > click Fix DLL Errors button after the scan, any dll file related errors will be repaired automatically.
In case of a missing or not found dll file error, you can click Start Scan & Download DLL - Free button, choose the required dll file and click More Information, click Download button from the open web page.
Of course, it helps with replacing the desired dll file, say Riched32.dll file in this case, you can do it with a few of mouse clicks!
TIFFANY WEBSTER replied on February 24, 2013
- ROBERT CAMPBELL replied on February 18, 2013: » The Riched32.dll file is a Windows Vista system file and cannot be replaced or modified. You may wish to find a more suitable application that is compatible with Windows Vista.
- DEVANE SUMTER replied on February 18, 2013: » I could replace a newer dll file in windows XP in safe mode but just Vista doesn't let. and because this application is the best one at its category I hope to find suitable solution.
- CARL TICE replied on February 21, 2013: » I will provide you command prompt steps on how to achieve this file replacement. However I stress to you the importance of backing up your data first. If this .dll is critical and the one you replace it with corrupts your system, there is a possibility that you would require reinstallation.
1. Click Start , and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
2. Right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.
3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: takeown /f Path_And_File_NameFor example, type takeown /f %systemdrive%\windows\system32\ Riched32.dll.
4. Type the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file: icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F.
5. Type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file: Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination.
6. (In the above step you would place the known working copy in a folder called temp in your system drive (default C :), change any of the locations to match your setup).
- BRIAN MAILEY replied on February 22, 2013: » In case someone else needs to rename and/or replace riched32.dll or riched.dll I recommend grabbing unlocker from either softpedia, cnet, or the author's site. Not everyone likes or wants to fiddle with the command prompt.
Unlocker (once installed - you may have to cancel past a riched.dll error) will happily rename, replace, or delete both of those files once you pass the UAC prompts. Then you can just pop in the new versions of the files. No command prompt needed.
DLL Q & A You Might Like:
- Dll File Access Is Denied »
- Runtime Error C:\Windows\System32\Spoolsv.exe »
- InetCpl.cpl Module Not Found RUN DLL Error »
- Missing Dll Files Causing Havoc With Computer »
- LXCFtime.dll Missing Error Message On Startup »
- Unable To Open Dll Files »
- Users\Andreana\AppData\Local\Ocagolog.dll Missing »